How To Replace Ignition Switch
Learning how to replace an ignition switch on a car can be relatively easy. There are a few steps individuals must follow to replace the switch. For first timer it can be a little overwhelming, but taking ones time and making sure they are properly disconnecting and replacing wires correctly is very important.
There are a few items you may need to help you install your new ignition switch.
- Ignition key
- New ignition switch
- First, you will want to disconnect battery. The first important thing you want to do is disconnect your battery. Find the negative battery cable, and then you want to remove this from the battery before doing anything else.
- Next, remove Steering Wheel Column. Locate the steering will and remove the center column. Then you will want to disconnect the horn wires, and you should be able to remove the steering wheel. Pull the wheel with force toward you.
- Disconnect Windshield/signal wiring. There are more wires that will need to be removed. Locate your windshield and signal lights wiring. Disconnect these wires. You will do this by pulling them out.
- Take out old ignition switch. Locate the screws holding the old ignition switch in place. Unscrew the bolt and take it and the washer out. You will then be able to pull out the ignition switch. Loosen the tabs for the switch by the wiring in the back and then pull it out.
- Replace old switch with new one. Push the retaining pin with a small object, preferably a small screwdriver. You will then turn the ignition to off; this will free the cylinder. After the cylinder is free, you will put it back in lock mode and remove the key and cylinder. Install your old key cylinder into the new ignition. You will have to make sure everything is lined up correctly or it will not fit properly. Hook all the proper wiring back into place. Make sure the screws are put back in and the steering wheel is hooked back into place; to avoid from it becoming detached while driving.
Replacing an old switch with a new one can be a very easy job once you have done it once. Most individuals save a lot of money doing the job themselves at home.