You will need to know how to replace kitchen cabinet toe kicks when they become damaged, broken or somehow destroyed. Toe kicks provide a space under kitchen cabinets allowing a place for the foot to fit comfortably. They also provide the finished look for unfinished kitchen cabinet bases. Choose one of two types of toe kicks, rubber or wood (which are either solid wood or particle board.)
Replacing Rubber Cabinet Toe Kicks
- Rubber mallet
- Utility knife
- Medium grit sandpaper
- Paint brush
- Pry rubber kitchen cabinet toe off of the cabinet base with pliers. Rubber toe kicks are glued to the bottom cabinet framing.
- Use a chisel to break the adhesive bond. For a particularly strong bond, tap the chisel with a rubber mallet to free the kitchen cabinet toe kicks.
- Use a medium grit sandpaper to sand off excess, old, dried glue.
- Measure the base of the cabinets and cut new toe kicks. Use a utility knife to cut to size.
- Apply adhesive to the framing at the base of the cabinets with a paint brush.
- Press the new rubber kitchen cabinet toe kicks in place firmly.
Replacing Wood Cabinet Toe Kicks
- Finishing nails
- Use the claw end of a hammer to grasp the edge of the kitchen cabinet toe kicks, forcefully pull back on the hammer to remove. Use a chisel to get under the edge and lift in order to get the hammer behind the toe kick.
- Remove any nails from the base of the cabinets.
- Measure new kitchen cabinet toe kicks. Use a saw to cut to the correct length.
- Hammer finishing nails into the kitchen cabinet toe kicks to secure them in place.
- Paint or stain a dark color such as dark brown or black.
Kitchen cabinet toe kicks serve the purpose of hiding the base framework of cabinets. They are usually painted a dark color to help them blend in and not be noticed. Replacing kitchen cabinet toe kicks is an easy do it yourself job and can be accomplished successfully.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.