Its time for your drive belt to be replaced and you want to learn how to replace your motorcycle drive belt. The drive belt on a motorcycle helps to keep the motorcycle moving by transferring power from the engine to the rear wheel of the bike. Over time the dive belt can get worn and needs to be replaced to so that your motorcycle will not go out. You can save a few hundred dollars by replacing the drive belt yourself. Replacing a motorcycle drive belt is not that difficult to do and can be done in a short amount of time.
To replace a motorcycle drive belt you need:
- new drive belt
- motorcycle jack
- Jack up the rear of the motorcycle. Use a jack to raise the rear end of your motorcycle. This will get the rear wheel off of the ground and allow for you to be able to remove it.
- Remove the axle from the rear wheel. Locate the axle bolt in the middle of the wheel frame. Remove the securing bolt by holding it with the pliers and twisting the securing bolt with the wrench. Once the bolt is removed, remove the axle from the center of the wheel.
- Remove the rear wheel. When the axle is removed push the rear wheel forward some toward the engine and then slide the motorcycle drive belt off of the wheel sprocket. Remove the wheel off of the motorcycle by pulling it carefully.
- Slide off the drive belt off from the engine. Remove the screws holding the metal cover that is covering the drive belt on the engine. Make sure to slide the motorcycle drive belt of off the engine sprocket.
- Install the new drive belt. Put the new motorcycle drive belt onto the engine sprocket and then guide it to the rear wheel sprocket. Replace the metal cover over the engine.
- Replace the rear wheel on the motorcycle. Slide the new drivel belt onto the reel wheel sprocket. Replace the rear axle and the securing bolt and then tighten the new drive belt. Remove the rear jack to lower the motorcycle back down to the ground.