How To Replace Nike Watch Strap
How do you replace a Nike watch strap? The strap on your Nike watch is most likely held on by spring bars, though there are other attachment methods, those are used on expensive high end watches or on those with straps that are not changeable. A spring bar is a spring loaded pin used to attach watch bands and hold watch bracelet clasps together. Care must be used when working with spring bars as they can fly off and are hard to find in carpeting. Do not worry if you lose a spring bar, they can be bought online and at jewelers; we have all lost one at one time or another.
Items needed to replace a Nike watch strap:
- Spring bar tool
- Painters tape
- Polishing cloth
The procedure to replace a strap on a Nike watch will go something as follows:
- Buy correct strap. The first step is to buy the correct strap. First you must determine if it is some kind of proprietary integral strap with odd ends such as cutouts, or some type of designed end. If it is, you will need to order a strap from Nike by their model number., If it has a simple flat end you can buy an aftermarket strap at a store. Measure the end of the strap between the lugs. It will be measured in millimeters and be something like 18mm, 20mm, 22mm etc.
- Cover watch with painters tape. Cover the exposed metal and the crystal of the watch with painters tape to protect the surfaces from scratches. Painters tape is used because it comes off easily with no residue left behind.
- Remove watch strap. Use the spring bar tool to remove the strap from your Nike watch. The tool has a flat end with a small V notch. You slip the flat end in between the strap and spring bar. The idea here is to grab the end of the spring bar with the tool and compress it, then slip it out and away from the hole. Many spring bars have a small lip to help in this. Take care when slipping the strap out not to let the spring bar fly off. Pay close attention to how the strap is placed on your Nike watch. You will want to put the new one on the same way, clasps oriented the same and not upside down.
- Clean inside of lugs. Now is time to clean the inside of the lugs where it is hard to reach when the strap is on. Use a cotton swab and clean any gunk out of there.
- Put new strap on. Put a spring bar in the hole on one side of the new strap. Insert one end of the spring bar in a hole on the Nike watches lugs and then compress the end of the spring bar until you can fit it inside the lug. Slowly move the strap and pin until it pops into the second hole. Take great care here as it is very easy to move it over the edge and let the pin fly away if the hole on the strap is loose. Repeat the process with the second half or side of the new strap.
- Remove tape. Remove the tape and polish the watch free of any fingerprints or smudges with the polishing cloth.
There, you have now replaced the strap on your Nike watch. Enjoy it, and wear it in good health.