How To Replace A Tennis Racket Grip
Learning how to replace a tennis racket grip is essential for any serious tennis player. It will become apparent very quickly why it is necessary to learn how to replace a tennis racket grip. The grip of a tennis racket will quickly wear under normal playing conditions. As a serious tennis player it will be invaluable to learn how to replace a tennis racket grip. Learning how to replace your own tennis racket grip will save you both time and money.
Things you'll need:
- Flat head screwdriver
- Needle nose pliers
- Replacement grip
- Remove the old grip. Open the needle nose pliers and insert one side of the tip under the bottom of the old grip. Locate the staple on the old grip and remove it with the screw drive. Grab the grip where the needle nose pliers are and unwrap it from the tennis racket. Completely remove the tennis racket grip and set it aside.
- Prepare the new grip. Unravel the new grip and begin to remove the backing from the new tennis racket grip.
- Start attaching the grip. Flip the tennis racket upside down and place the head against a flat surface. Attach the starter end of the the tennis racket grip to the rear-cap of the tennis racket.
- Wrap the grip. Wrap the new tennis racket grip clockwise if you are right handed and counter-clockwise if you are left handed. Wrap the grip at an angle, allowing it to overlap about one-fourth of an inch. Continue to unwrap the backing from the new tennis racket grip as necessary when wrapping the new grip.
- Secure the new grip. Finish wrapping the new tennis racket grip. Cut the end of the grip at an angle with a pair of scissors. Apply the finishing tape that came included with the new tennis racket grip.
- Purchase a new tennis racket grip at a sporting goods store or a department store.
- When purchasing a new tennis racket grip consider which is better, soft or firm.