How To Replace A Toilet
Want to learn how to replace a toilet? It is definitely not as hard as it sounds. All you need are a few simple items, this step-by-step guide, and a little confidence. This guide will have your new toilet up and running in no time at all. Read on to find out how to replace a toilet.
To replace a toilet, will you need:
- a toilet
- adjustable wrench
- water line
- wax ring replacement
- putty knife
- utility knife
- Turn off the toilet water supply. Locate the shut-off valve below the toilet tank and turn valve clockwise to shut down water supply.
- Drain water from both the toilet tank and the toilet bowl. Lift up the toilet tank lid and set the lid aside. Open the drain valve in the water tank by holding the lever up then flush the toilet. Absorb any remaining water left in the toilet tank and/or toilet bowl using a towel.
- Remove water supply line. Using an adjustable wrench, loosen the nut which attaches the water line to the toilet tank then remove the water supply line.
- Remove toilet from floor and set aside. Take off the bolt covers located at the feet of the toilet bowl and remove the nuts.
- Remove caulking from the base of the toilet. This can be executed by using a utility knife.
- Remove wax ring from drain flange. This can be executed using a putty knife.
- Insert new water supply line. A new water supply line would be best practice being as though you are installing a new toilet.
- Insert new wax ring. Make sure the plastic ring in facing downward to ensure the proper installation of the toilet.
- Install new toilet. Place your new toilet on the new wax ring.
- Align the toilet tank with the toilet base. This will ensure the stability of the toilet.
- Replace all nuts, bolts, and washers. Use tools if you must to tighten up all loose ends.
- Align toilet seat with hinges. Align the hinges with the holes found on the toilet base and tighten and secure the washers and bolts.
Now you know there's no real need to hire a professional to replace a toilet. You can get the job done on their own. All you have to do is grab the required items and get started today!