Knowing how to replace your Volvo's power steering pump can be a difficult job, but doing it on your own can save you a lot of money. If your power steering pump has failed, you might notice a leak on the pavement, the steering wheel is difficult to turn and screeching noises are coming from under the hood. Here are steps how to change your power steering pump.
- Socket set
- Line wrench
- Floor jack
- Axle stands
- Siphon pump
- Drain pan
- Special pulley removal tool
- Before starting, it is best to locate the power steering pump and spray penetrating fluid onto the nuts and bolts to make removal easier. Do this the day before you are going to replace the pump.
Check the rear wheels with wood and raise the front end of the car using the jack. Support the car's weight with axle stands. Remove the negative battery lead.
- Using the siphon pump, open the power steering reservoir and siphon out the fluid. Loosen the feed and return lines to the power steering pump. Check around the pump for any other lines; for example, some Volvos have an extra pipe on the rear of the pump.
- Using the socket wrench, loosen the pump mounting bolts and slip off the serpentine belt. Remove the pump from the car, catching any fluid in the drain pan. If your new pump does not have a pulley attached, you will need a special removal tool to release the old one from the old pump to fit it to the new pump.
- Fit the pulley to the new pump and fit the unit back onto the mounting point. Tighten up the bolts half way, fit the serpentine belt and double check the routing. Tighten the bolts up to the correct torque setting.
- Refit the feed and return lines, making sure the lines are not twisted and are in good condition. Fill the power steering reservoir with the correct type of fluid. Refit the negative battery lead and start the engine.
- With the reservoir cap off, turn the wheels from left to right ten times, topping up the reservoir when needed. Repeatedly turn the steering wheel to ensure no air bubbles are present in the system.
- The wheels should turn very easily; this is a great indicator of the job being completed. Lower the car off the axle stands and check the steering performance again.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
Dove Men Shave Cream