Do you want to know how to report scammers? Have you been the victim of or do you suspect a scam? If you have been hurt by fraudulent activity, it is important to report the scam so that the criminals involved cannot target other people. Different types of scams should be reported to different government agencies. Here are some guidelines.
- If the scam you want to report is online, you should report it to the federal government's Internet Crime Complaint Center. You can file a complaint through their website at www.ic3.gov/default.aspx.
- Telemarketing fraud should be reported to the Federal Trade Commission. This type of fraud can include credit and loan offers, work-at-home and other bogus business opportunities, and general telemarketing. You can report phone scams to the FTC at www.ftc.gov/phonefraud. In addition, you can use this website to register for the Do Not Call list, which can minimize the number of sales calls you receive.
- If you receive an email or fax from a stranger asking for financial assistance of any kind, you should report it to the U.S. Secret Service. Forward the email to email@example.com.
- Complaints about fraudulent activities by specific companies should be reported to your local Better Business Bureau. To find your local BBB, visit www.bbb.org/us/find-a-bbb/.
- Emails selling prescription drugs or other medical supplies should be reported to the Food and Drug Administration. If you receive an email of this kind, forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you think you may be a victim of mail fraud, which can include any type of fraud in which the scammers contact you using the U.S. Postal Service, report it to the USPS online at https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MailFraudComplaint.aspx.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Online Gaming
Get into FPSs and MOBAs without getting your ass kicked… too much.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.