Do you want to know how to reset a check engine light on a Toyota? When your Toyota has a problem, the check engine light will come on. Sometimes, there is not a real problem, but a misread by your car’s computer about your engine. You can reset the check engine light yourself on your Toyota. It is an easy job.
What You Will Need
- Leather work gloves
- Socket set
- Make sure your Toyota is cool before you work on it. It is best to reset your check engine light when your car is cold. Open the hood of your Toyota and secure it with the safety rod.
- Put your work gloves on. There may be battery acid on the battery and acid will burn your skin. Take your wrench or socket set and disconnect the negative cable on your battery. Keep it disconnect for ten to fifteen-minutes.
- Reconnect the battery and start up your Toyota. Your check engine light should be off. Drive your car around for a few hundred miles. This could take days of normal driving. Keep watch and make sure the check engine light does not come back on. If there is a real problem with your Toyota, the check engine light will come back on. If the check engine light did not come back on, you reset the check engine light on your Toyota. There was a malfunction between the computer and the engine.
- If your check engine light came back on, you need to go to the next step. Drive to the local auto parts store and have them do a free diagnostic test on the engine of your Toyota. The diagnostic test will tell you what is wrong with your Toyota. The auto parts attendant will match the codes up and tell you what is wrong. Buy the parts needed to fix your Toyota and fix it. If you are unable to fix the problem, take it to the dealer.
- After you fixed your Toyota yourself, you still have to reset the check engine light on your Toyota. Reconnect the negative cable on your battery after you finished fixing your car. You have reset the check engine light on your Toyota. Put away your tools and drive your car normally.
- Have the auto parts store retest your car to make sure there is nothing else wrong with it. You want your problems with your Toyota car fixed the first time.
- Wear leather work gloves while working on your car
- Many auto parts stores have free engine diagnostic tests
- Work on a cool car not a hot car
- Do the job right the first time
- A check engine light can be a serious problem
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.