Learning how to reset the oil life indicator on your 2006 Honda Civic prevents you from having to bring the car to the dealership for a relatively simple procedure. The Civic's oil life indicator is installed in the odometer case. The system shows the estimated oil life percentage. When the system reaches five percent, the "Change Oil" or "Maintenance Required" light comes on.
To reset the oil life on a 2006 Honda Civic, you will need:
- Car keys
- Park your Civic in a safe place. Make sure you are away from traffic. Turn the engine off and take the key out of the ignition.
- Re-insert the key. Insert the key into the ignition and turn it two clicks to the right, but do not start the engine. In this setting, your odometer lights and radio should be turned on.
- Access the oil life indicator. Press the "Reset" button until the oil life shows beneath the mileage indicator.
- Reset the oil life indicator. Press and hold "Reset" until the oil life blinks several times. This process takes ten to fifteen seconds. After the indicator blinks, the oil life is reset. Take your key out of the ignition.
Tips & Warnings:
- If you normally have your oil changed at a Honda dealership, the service technician should be resetting the system for you. Remind the service advisor at your next visit. If you have your oil changed somewhere else, simply reset the oil life yourself after each oil change.
- Resetting the oil life is not a substitute for changing your oil. Just because it makes the "Change Oil" light go off does not mean it's okay to skip your service appointment.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.