How to Reset Oil Light on a BMW
Do you want to know how to reset the oil light on a BMW? Oil lights turn on in modern vehicles to let you know you need an oil change. If you do the oil change yourself, you will have to know how to reset the oil light on your BMW. Resetting the oil light on a BMW is easy and there is more than one way to reset the oil light on a BMW.
Things You Will Need
- Leather work gloves
- Wrench or socket set
How to Reset Oil Light on BMW:
- Resetting the oil light on a newer BMW is easy to do. You do not need any tools. Drive your BMW into your driveway and shut the car off.
- Hold down the left odometer with your left hand and turn the key on to the accessory position. Hold the left odometer button down until you see a message (oil service, inspection with reset, or RE) on the display. Let go of the button and press it back down again. Wait until the display flashes. Let go of the button and push down on the button one more time. A reset message should show up in the display. You have finished resetting the oil light on your BMW.
- The process is different for older BMW’s. The above may not work for your car for some reason. You did not follow directions correctly or there is some sort of malfunction on your particular car.
- Put the hood up on your car and attach the safety arm. Take your work gloves and put them on. Take your wrench and take off the negative cable on your BMW’s battery. Take a fifteen-minute break and wait.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable on your BMW. Turn your BMW on and your look at the display. You have reset the oil light on your BMW.
- In rare cases, this will not work. Go to your local auto parts store. Have them do an analysis on your BMW’s computer. Have them check to see if there is anything wrong with the car. They will reset the oil light for you. If there is anything wrong with your BMW, buy the parts, and fix your car.
- Use gloves when working under the hood of your BMW
- Patience is a virtue. Be patient when working on your own car
- If you cannot do any of the steps above by yourself, get a relative or friend to help you