If you strain a muscle in your shoulders or back, knowing how to rest your trapezius muscle is important. The trapezius is a muscle in your back and shoulders that helps rotate your shoulders and can often be strained by lifting or carrying heavy objects. If you have a job that requires you to lift heavy objects, such as construction or package delivery, or if you lift weights, then you are at particular risk for trapezius muscle injury. If you are feeling pain in your trapezius muscle, it is important to rest it before you suffer serious injury.
- Lie down with pillows elevating your shoulders or sit up with pillows at your back. It is important to limit the work of your trapezius muscle when resting. By elevating the muscle or by sitting up with pillows you are limiting the possibility of swelling and allowing the muscles to rest.
- You may want to go to your doctor to get a brace or a splint. This will ensure that your trapezius muscle is given proper rest.
- Use ice on the injured area. In order to best heal your trapezius muscle, you should apply ice within 48 hours of the initial injury. This will keep fluid from building up around the injury.
- Once the swelling has gone down, apply heat to the area. This relieves pain and helps to relax the muscle.
- To relieve pain, feel free to take an over-the-counter pain reliever. A pain reliever that contains ibuprofen can help you deal with a strained trapezius muscle.
If your trapezius muscle is feeling tight, you can gently stretch it by shrugging your shoulders and lowering them, or by slowly tilting your head from one side to the other. If this is painful to do, you probably have a more serious injury than a strain. If this treatment does not help after a few days, make an appointment to see your doctor to better diagnose your injury.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …