How To Retire While You're Still Working
The decision to retire while you are still working is a decision that every person must make at some point in their career so take heed of the following tips on how to retire while you're still working. Like retiring from any profession, there are certain protocols that must be followed to ensure a successful retirement. Let's take a look at how to retire while you are still working.
- Preparation. Finances are the main thing to pay attention to. Get your 401K, Roth, mutual funds, stocks, savings, and other money market accounts properly funded. Pay off high interest credit cards, car loans, and other random bills. Finally, settle upon a tentative retirement date and stick with it. Remember that saving is the name of the game. Increase wealth and minimize debt.
- Follow procedure. It is imperative that the proper protocols are taken to ensure a smooth retirement while still working. Inform the administration of your decision months in advance so that a proper replacement can be found before your departure. Fill out any forms and have them checked to comply with your paperwork.
- Finish your job. Finish all of your started tasks in the best way possible. This ranges from following up on work orders and anything else job related. Also, plan to leave in a timely manner. Tie up any loose ends to ensure a successful checkout when that day comes. Take pride in your work until the very end.
- Inform others. This is not a necessity but myriad people do it to bring closure to their careers. Sometimes faculty members throw retirement and goodbye parties to retiring employees. It's an excellent way to say goodbye to administration, faculty, and students.
- Life After. Behind finances, mental health is a good thing to think about. Mentally prepare yourself to retire while you are still working. Prepare for day to day life. Take some time, travel, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.