If you need to know how to reupholster a vintage car to get it back in good condition, try to do it yourself if you are able. The main problem is that removing the upholstery from the seats of a vintage car is not as easy as it may seem, and installing the new upholstery can be even harder. You may be better off getting an upholsterer to help you with at least the installation part of the job, to save you some time and aggravation.
Things You Will Need:
- Cutting tools
- Tools for removing the seats
- Measuring tape
- Stapler and staple remover
- Remove the seats from your vintage car. This may be difficult if the vintage car is particularly old. If you manage to remove the seats, place them on a solid surface so you can remove the old upholstery.
- Use a cutting tool to remove the fabric if it will not come off. When you reupholster a vintage car, you want to make sure you can install the new upholstery in the same way. As you remove the old upholstery, look to see how it is attached to the seats, and try not to damage the seats in the process. Use a staple remover if the material is fastened with staples.
- Add the new upholstery to the seats. When you reupholster a vintage car, measure the amount of new fabric that you need, and then staple it into place. Try to take your time, so you do not make any mistakes. If you run into trouble, call a professional for help. You at least got the old upholstery removed, so the cost of professional help will not be as much.
- If the new upholstery looks good, re-install the seats. Once you have the seats back into place, make sure there are no loose staples showing that could tear the fabric. Test out the seats, and if you did a good job, your vintage car should be ready to go.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.