Taking time to learn how to revamp sweaters is a great money-saving idea. Changing seasons don’t have to mean buying a whole new wardrobe. Your closet probably has a few old sweaters hanging in the back, or maybe they are folded away in a drawer. With time, energy, and a little TLC, you can restore an old sweater into something new. In today’s economy, everyone is looking for ways to save a few bucks. If you want to cut your clothing costs, revamping old clothes is the way to go. And sweaters are one of the easiest clothing items to restore. These simple steps will show you how.
- Old sweater
- Laundry detergent
- Lint brush or lint roller
- Fabric shaver (or disposable razor)
- Gather your supplies. To get started revamping an old sweater, gather your supplies. Start with an old sweater from the back of the closet. Then grab a lint brush, lint roller, or fabric shaver. If these items aren’t just lying around the house, purchase them at a local discount or dollar store.
- Wash your sweater. Washing your sweater is the first step to restoring it. Sometimes an old, dingy sweater is just dirty. Use cold water and a color-safe detergent to launder the sweater. Read the care label to determine if your sweater should be hand-washed or machine-washed. Turn the sweater inside out to reduce pilling.
- Dry your sweater. Dry your sweater after you wash it. The sweater’s care label will tell you if it can be machine-dried. Use a low temperature setting to reduce shrinking. Or use a towel to remove excess water, shape the sweater, and dry it flat on a rack.
- Remove the lint. The next step in revamping your sweater involves removing the lint. Use a lint brush to remove debris, pet hair, or pilling. Or run a lint roller over the sweater. It may require several layers of the roller’s adhesive tape to remove all the debris.
- Shave your sweater. After you've washed and dried your sweater and removed all the lint, it’s time to shave the sweater. A fabric shaver will remove the pilling on your sweater’s front, back, or sleeves. If your sweater has a lot of pills, clean the shaver’s lint holder periodically, to avoid buildup and enable a thorough shave. If you don't have a fabric shaver, a disposable razor also works to remove sweater pilling.
- Admire your “new” sweater. It’s amazing what a little TLC can do for your sweater collection. Take some time this summer to revamp each of the old sweaters hanging in your closet or folded in your chest of drawers. You’ll have a whole “new” wardrobe for the fall.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.