Need to know how to reverse when driving a standard car? Driving a car with a standard transmission makes you feel more in control behind the wheel, but you can't even get out of your driveway if you don't know how to reverse when driving a standard car. In cars that have a standard transmission, you need to press the clutch in order to be able shift the car into a different gear using the shifter. Most gears are located either below or to the right of the previous gear, but the reverse can occur and is occasionally difficult to find. If driving in reverse in your standard car is giving you trouble, check out the tips below.
- To go in reverse in a standard car, press down on the clutch with your left foot. Pull the shifter to get the car out of gear and into neutral. When the car is in neutral you can move the shifter back and forth with very little effort.
- Turn the ignition to start the car. On some older cars, you may have to pump the gas a bit to get the car started.
- Push the shifter all the way to the right. Hold the shifter there for a moment. While holding the shifter to the right, pull back on it. After a moment, you will feel the shifter slide into place.
- Turn around to look where you are going. This is always important when driving in reverse. Press the gas pedal down and slowly release your foot from the clutch. You will feel the car start to move as the gears engage. Continue to release the clutch and press down on the gas until you are moving backwards.
- When you have gone back as far as you need to go, press down on the clutch and move your other foot from the gas to the brake. Push the shifter up to remove it from the reverse position.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.