How To Rip Your Jeans
Don't waste money on buying a new pair of denim when it's easy to learn how to rip your jeans and save yourself a few extra bucks in the process. Designers charge a pretty penny for their ripped jeans and because it's a look that has ongoing appeal for some, prices aren't likely to go down soon. But you don't have to be a designer to rip your jeans, in fact, you can achieve an awesome rocker look in just a matter of a few minutes.
What you'll need to rip your jeans:
- Pick your jeans and put them on. Pull on a pair of your jeans that you would like to rip. This can be a new pair, or you can choose to give new life to an old but comfortable pair of jeans. Whatever your choice make sure that you are comfortable ripping the fabric.
- Mark them. You don't want jeans with random tears so look over your selected pair and decide what areas you want your rips to appear. Using the chalk, place marks where you plan to rip your jeans and look in the mirror to imagine tears where the marks will be.
- Remove the jeans and use the scissors. Now that you know where you plan to rip your jeans, it's time to take them off. With your scissors, cut a slit on each of the chalk marks.
Rip the fabric. This is the fun part when ripping your jeans. Place your fingers in the cut that you've created and rip the fabric. If you need to cut a little further along your markings it is okay to do so, but the key is to create a rip more than a clean cut.
- Put them back on and look them over. Continue ripping each of the areas as described above until you have achieved the look that you are looking for. Put the jeans back on and look in a mirror to decide if you've ripped them to your satisfaction or if more work needs to be done.
- Always remove your jeans before cutting into them with your scissors.