Knowing how to roast a chicken to perfection is basic for any cook. There is nothing more pleasant than walking into a home with the aroma of roast chicken in the air. Taking very little effort, roast chicken tastes like you worked for hours, when in fact it was more like minutes!
To roast a chicken, you will need:
- one whole chicken
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- turkey baster or basting brush
- one or all of these seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder, sage, rosemary, onion powder
- vegetables such as potatoes, celery, onion, mushrooms, carrots (optional)
- roasting pan or casserole dish
- meat thermometer (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
Rinse the chicken inside and out with tap water and then pat dry with paper towels.
- If using vegetables, cut them into large chunks. Toss in a large bowl with seasonings of your choice and 1/4 cup of the melted butter.
- Grease a roasting pan or large casserole dish and place vegetables evenly on the bottom.
- Rub a little salt and pepper over the whole surface of the chicken. Top the vegetables with the whole chicken, breast side up. If you prefer to use parts instead of roasting a whole chicken, make sure they are placed with the skin side facing up.
- Cook for 30 minutes. Baste the chicken with a little butter and continue cooking, basting every fifteen minutes thereafter. If the breast begins to brown too soon, lower the oven temperature to 375° and put the top on your roasting pan or use some foil to cover the chicken. Be sure to uncover your roast chicken for the last fifteen minutes so the skin crisps up nicely.
- The whole roast chicken will be done when the leg joint moves easily and a knife inserted there runs with clear juices-about one and a half to two hours. If roasting chicken parts, it may take less time than that. If using a meat thermometer ,it should read 165° internally.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.