How to roof a house with shingles is a question most homeowners eventually need to know the answer to. The average lifespan of a roof with shingles is nearly 30-years when quality products are used and installed properly. In a sense a roof with shingles is the greatest protection your home has from the elements.
To roof a house with shingles, you will need:
- Roofing nails
- Tar paper
- Roof jacks
- Water/ice membrane
- Ridge vent and cap
- Flat garden shovel or shingle scrapper
- Choosing the shingles. Shingles are available in a variety of styles and colors. Asphalt shingles are the most popular style of shingles and are used on most of today’s homes. If you are restoring an older home you may have to roof it with cedar or slate shingle. The shingles that you choose should reflect the styling, design and color choices of your home.
- The tear down. If there is already two or more layers of shingles on your house you will have to remove them and start fresh. As a general rule if there are only one layer of shingles you can shingle directly on top of them as long as there isn’t any water leaks in the present roof. If you have to remove the existing shingles and roofing materials you will want to do so with a flat garden shovel or shingle scrapper tool.
- Installation. If you had to tear the old roof off before you roof a house with shingles you will want to install the water/ice membrane at the drip edge of the roof and in any valleys. Over the membrane you will roll out the tar paper. Be sure to overlap the edges of the tar paper to produce a better barrier. Start the first row of shingles at the drip edge. Work in a single direction. One the second row of shingles be sure to stagger the shingles so that the edges are not directly above one another. Continue this process until the roof is covered. In the valleys you will want to overlap the shingles.
- The vents. On the ridges of the roof you may want to install ridge vents. These vents all the hot air to escape from the attic while keeping the cooler air out. Install the roof vents and cap them off to finish off your roofing project.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)