So, you want to learn how to run a 5k Marathon in under 20 minutes? It may sound like a superhuman feat but, with enough training, it's very possible. First of all, be aware that five kilometers is equal to 3.106 miles. That can help with your pacing and your training. Next, just follow the steps on this guide and you'll be breaking the twenty minute barrier:
- Monday-Wednesday-Friday. A 5k is a distance run. To improve your distance running, you have to run longer than the race distance. It's a good idea to run more than three miles at least four days of the week. Three of these days should be dedicated to five to seven mile runs. If you're up to it, make one of these runs a "fart lick" run. That means that you run one minute slow, one minute fast, two minutes slow, two minutes fast, three minutes slow, three minutes fast. Then, you go back to the one-one.
- Tuesday. Make Tuesday a tempo run. That means that you're running 3.1 miles at race pace. You also want to think about doing a twenty minute turnaround run. That means that you go out to a certain distance for ten minutes and then turn around, running the same way back, and make that turnaround time faster than the ten minutes.
- Thursday. One day of the week should be spent doing sprints. If you have access to a track, use it. If you don't, a field can work just as well. A good sprint work out for a 5k is to run six to eight 400m laps. The point of these reps is to try and get the same pace every time. You want to be very aware of how fast you are running so, when the time comes, you can pace yourself.
- Saturday. Saturday should be the day of rest. Give yourself at least one day of rest a week or your muscles will never recover.
- Sunday. Sunday is the traditional longer distance run. Run seven to ten miles.
If you maintain this training regimen, you will notice very quick improvement. Here's how you should gauge the improvement:
- Get a Stopwatch. This is absolutely necessary for seeing your time and recording your progress.
- Keep a Running Log. Every day, record how you felt, how long you ran, and any other factors to consider. A good way to figure out the distances for runs is to visit www.gmaps-pedometer.com.
Your training will be the thing that carries you underneath the twenty minute mark. Running form, pace, and breathing will go hand-in-hand with training improvements. The important part is to get your body used to the speed required for the upcoming race.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.