You will need to know how to run virus scan in safe mode to ensure that all applications and processes are stopped. Safe mode will allow you to delete a virus successfully because it is not running in the background. Some virus scans will not be able to get rid of the virus because it is running in one or more applications or processes in the background while the computer is in normal running mode.
Things you will need:
- Anti-virus software
- Reboot the computer. After the computer shuts down, it will start back up right away. As soon as you see the first screen, start tapping the F8 key. Continue to tap the key until the next screen starts to appear.
- Select “Safe Mode” from the menu that appears on the screen. You can use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor to select “Safe Mode.” Once you select safe mode the computer will continue booting up.
- Allow the computer to boot in safe mode. You will see a distorted desktop and the words “Safe Mode” around the edges of the screen. All applications and processes are shut down and you can do a clean virus scan.
- Select the virus scan software from the desktop. If you don’t have the anti-virus software on the desktop find it in the program files from the “Start” menu. Start the software as you would in normal mode. Allow the software to run and detect any viruses.
- Follow any prompts from the software. The anti-virus software will alert you to any viruses and prompt you to eliminate the virus. When the software is done running, close it.
- Reboot the computer. Allow the computer to start up in normal mode to continue normal operations.