How To Safely Prepare For Extreme Hang Gliding
Do you want to know how to safely prepare for extreme hang gliding? Hang gliding can be a thrilling adventure for those who decide to take the plunge, but it must be done safely and properly. There are a few important steps you must take before going into the hang gliding experience, and you will want to carefully prepare yourself for the ride. Read on to learn how to safely prepare yourself for extreme hang gliding.
- Get your materials. Some of the basic equipment you will need includes a helmet, a chest parachute, a harness, and a hang glider. You can not start extreme hang gliding until you have all of your materials and supplies needed, so it is important to get this all ready beforehand. You will also need to know how to properly strap yourself to your hang glider and what to do in the event of an emergency.
- Find the right location. One of the most important details to consider before extreme hang gliding is the location. You will want to choose a safe location that does not have any tall structures or buildings that may get in the way. You will also want an area where you can easily launch and land while hang gliding. The best type of location for hang gliding is one that is open terrain with plenty of free space. Avoid areas with too many trees, structures, and other things that you could possibly run into while landing and taking off. A great place to go hang gliding is in sand dunes, if you have them in your area.
- Find a good instructor. Hang gliding should be learned with a trained professional and should never be attempted on your own. This type of sport requires a great deal of skill and extensive experience. Try to locate an instructor with excellent safety ratings. You must feel comfortable with the hang gliding instructor and the school you choose, so do not settle for one that you feel is inadequate. Ask around and do you research, do not just settle for the very first school or instructor that you find. Finding the right one may cost a little more money, but it will be worth it to know you are receiving the best training possible.
- Watch others. Observe others as they hang glide and take note of the way they move and the techniques they use. You can actually learn quite a bit from watching someone else and mimicking their movements. It is best to observe someone who has had a great deal of experience with the activity.
- Eat lightly. Don't eat a heavy or fattening meal before heading out on the adventure. Especially with beginners, the ride can be bumpy and you may become sick if there is too much in your stomach. You do not want to be throwing up your lunch when you're up in the sky, do you?
- Wear the appropriate clothing and avoid jewelry. Clothing should be comfortable and never too tight. Wear clothing that will be appropriate for whatever weather conditions you will be flying in. Do not wear sandals or flip-flops, as they will just fall off during the ride. Also, do not wear any jewelry, as this can be a safety hazard and may fall off during the flight.
- Finish your hang gliding lessons. Before you can actually hang glide, you will be required to complete five to ten lessons. These lessons can take anywhere from three to six months, sometimes longer. You must attend a properly certified hang gliding school and you will be under the supervision of a certified instructor. Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to hang glide by yourself when you have not finished the proper training and schooling. This can prove to be very illegal and quite dangerous.
- Fly in safe weather conditions. There will be times when the weather is not suitable for extreme hang gliding. You will want to avoid days that are too windy, as extreme wind can be dangerous for hang gliders. Never fly during rain showers or thunderstorms under any circumstances. In general, the best days to hang glide are those that are clear with mild or soft winds.