Learning how to sail a Hunter 22 sailboat is a long process that will require a lot of practice and work on your part. You should sail with someone with experience until you have completely mastered the art of sailing one of these older but classic vessels. Although it may be easier to sail with a partner, this type of craft can be sailed by one person only.
To sail a Hunter 22 sailboat, you will need:
- Hunter 22 sailboat
- Experienced sailing supervisor
- Life preservers
- Basic sailing equipment (such as rope)
- Sailing area (such as lake or large pond)
- Dock or boat trailer
How to Sail a Hunter 22 Sailboat:
- First, make sure that the boat that you are going to learn how to sail is in tip top condition. Many of these vessels are older, and they may not handle as well as they used to, so replace masts, sails, or any other equipment that may have suffered the effects of time. If necessary, replace wood with new wood or synthetic materials, if any wood has begun to age or rot. You can find out how to do any of this by asking at marine supply stores or boatyards.
- Next, you will need to find someone to sail with as you are learning. Any old sailing buddy who knows how to work this boat is fine, or you may, if you cannot find someone, have to sign up for lessons. Private instructors are available who can show you how to sail your boat; find one by asking at the nearest marina.
- Take the boat out, and learn to sail. Before you even learn to control the craft, learn all of the knots that may be used to dock the sailboat and control the sails. Then, begin to actually practice your sailing. Do this on days with slight wind, but, on your first few attempts, it will be hard if the wind is too strong. Get the hang of controlling the sails.
- While still under supervision, begin to work your way up. Practice turning the boat until you get it down pat, and begin to target rougher days on the water. You will never know when a storm will appear, so it is important for you to know how to control the Hunter 22 sailboat thoroughly before you get caught in one. Practice controlling the boat in stronger winds with someone else on board. Learn the points of sail; begin to learn the wind and exactly how to use it or avoid it in certain scenarios. Practice in stronger wind, turning the boat port and starboard, so that the wind hits it from the side, and using this to your advantage. Make sure that you can find out how to have complete control over the direction and speed by using the sails. You must also be pretty handy with the equipment and rigging, so practice hoisting the mainsail in tough winds.
- Once you are comfortable enough in your abilities, you may sail solo. You must know everything about your boat for this, though. You need to know how to dock, raise or lower sails, use the wind, and you must know everything about your rigging. Once you have this down, you should be fine to sail your Hunter 22 sailboat.
Learning how to sail a Hunter 22 sailboat takes a lot of time. You will need to spend many long hours on the water practicing, and acclimating yourself with the vessel in various conditions. Once you know how to perfectly control the boat, you may sail it. Always wear a life vest, and dock the sailboat or take it home after use.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …