How to Save Money for a Weekend Getaway
Everyone could use a few tips on how to save money for a weekend getaway, because we're all dreaming about a weekend getaway to some place like Vegas, New York City, or Chicago, or perhaps need to relax and want to get away to a cabin in the woods or on the beach. We all need a break, and sometimes the last thing we're prioritizing is how to save money for a weekend giveaway. It is possible to save money for a weekend getaway, and here are some tips to jumpstart that savings.
5 Ways to Save Money for a Weekend Getaway
- Skip the morning latte. Or the nightly happy hours. This one is pretty obvious, but if you really want to save money for a weekend giveaway, that $3 custom latte every day adds up. Even more so, a few beers at happy hour adds up even faster. Keep your eyes on the prize - a weekend vacation! Make coffee at home before work, or grab a six-pack after work to share with your buds at your place instead of paying higher prices for bottles at the bar, where tips and taxes will also eat your cash that's better spent on a plane ticket or a tank of gas to get you where you want to go.
- Take inventory at home. Another great way to save money for a weekend getaway is to take inventory of the things you're not using at home. Are there CDs you no longer listen to because everything's on your iPod now? Do you have textbooks, DVDs, or clothes you're no longer using that you can sell? Take media to a used record store where they'll often buy old CDs and DVDs still in decent condition. Sell your old textbooks online. You won't make a fortune selling old stuff, but those extra dollars will certainly make a difference in the savings fund and will help you get rid of things you're no longer using anyway.
- Set aside a determined amount from each paycheck. Whether it's 2, 5, or 10 percent, determine a number you can live with that will help you reach your goal to save money for a weekend getaway, and have that amount automatically direct deposited into your bank account.
- Speaking of goals, know what those goals are. Know how much money you need to save for a weekend getaway, how much the expenses will be, and how long it will take to get there based on the actions in the previous steps.
- Grab a friend! It won't cut your airfare in half, but having someone to share expenses like gas money, car rentals, and hotel rooms when you save for a weekend getaway can make it happen sooner and can free up other money for food and fun while you're there.