Often people have to quit a job or move on to another career, this is why knowing, how to say goodbye to a coworker who is leaving, is an important skill to have. The best way to say goodbye to someone who is leaving your company is to do it in a tactful and memorable manner. The last thing you want to do is forget to even acknowledge they are leaving or to do it in a distasteful embarrassing manner.
When you learn how to say goodbye to a coworker who is leaving the company, you will have the person-feeling special and important, which is how a good going away celebration should be.
How to Say Goodbye to a Coworker Who is Leaving
- Make sure to buy a nice card that suits their personality. You don’t want to give them a card that they will not understand. Find a card that will have them looking at it later on and remember the great coworkers they had.
- Have everyone in the company sign it. If you are in a small group of employees, make sure that everyone says something inspirational about their future, or a joke that they will look back on and laugh. Make sure to keep it professional.
- Buy a cake or take the person out to lunch with the rest of the coworkers. Pay for their lunch.
- Have each person invited to the luncheon say something nice about the person. Just a few sentences are nice. This way everyone has a chance to speak.
- After you are done with lunch, give them the card. They can either read it in front of everyone or take it with him or her.
Follow these simple, yet effective tips when learning how to say goodbye to a coworker who is leaving and they will appreciate your concern and the time you spent making sure the time they had left at the company was memorable and sincere.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...