How To Score Points In Tennis Tournaments
Knowing how to score points in tennis tournaments is the key to winning, because both you and your opponent are already good players. These tips can help you to compete and score points in tennis tournaments.
Skills needed to score points in tennis tournaments:
- Intermediate to advanced tennis skills
- Positive thinking
- Place yourself in proper position for returns. In order to score points, your body should be placed in the middle of the area that you think your opponent will return the ball to. Allowing yourself to stand in the middle of the area rather than trying to predict exactly where the ball will land will give you some "wiggle room" in terms of positioning. This way, you can easily move right, left, forward, or back to return the ball.
- Mix things up with a lob. Lob shots (shots in which the ball is hit high and deep) are very difficult shots to return, and they can help you to score points. Because of this, you may want to send an opponent a lob if possible, especially if he or she is up at the net. However, if the player returns the lobs back with ease you may need to adjust your strategy.
- Move up to the net first. If you are up at the net, you are putting pressure on an opponent. While a lob from your opponent can kill this pressure, you can return many of his or her shots with force from the net. You can also send your opponent short shots, which can be very difficult to return, to score points in tennis tournaments.
- If possible, hit the ball so that it lands close to a court boundary. If you are an accurate player, try to get your opponent to think that a ball within court boundaries is really out of bounds in order to score points. Also, hitting the ball close to the boundary will force your opponent to work really hard to get to the ball.
- Watch your opponent for his or her weaknesses. Some opponents may be very good at returning lob shots, short net shots, and other difficult shots. No matter what, you should always look out for your opponent's weakness. If he or she has difficulty returning a simple shot to the back of the court, try to hit as many of those shots as possible to score points in tennis tournaments.