How To Sea Kayak
Learning how to sea kayak is a fun and engaging process. To begin, you must have a worthy craft, paddle, and life jacket. Following is advice on learning how to sea kayak.
- First, make sure that you have a kayak that is in tip top condition. It should also be comfortable, and you should fit perfectly into it.
- Start learning to sea kayak by practicing with the craft in calm waters. Go to any lake or pond. Practice basic kayaking, and you will work up your overall sea kayaking capability.
- Work on your stroke. Dip one paddle, holding that side's arm forward and down, into the water, and pull it back, at which point that side should be raised, and your other arm, with that sides paddle blade should dip into the water, to be pulled back.
- Once you have confidence in your basic kayaking abilities, head to the beach. Try to pick a calm day for your first time in the sea. It may be necessary to swim your kayak out past the breakers if waves are large, or you can get in, close to shore, and time your paddling well. Launch out between waves.
- Once out on the water, paddle up and down the coast, and you will soon get the hang of it. Sea kayaking is not very different from any other type of kayaking, but when waves are significant, you will have to be able to perfectly maneuver the craft. The more you work on this, with practice, the better you will understand how to sea kayak, so keep at it, wearing your life preserver at all times.
Learning how to sea kayak is a fun process that starts with your knowing how to man the craft. Once you know how to perfectly control the kayak, take it to the beach, and have a great time with it.