How To Sell A Car By Owner
When looking to sell a car, you may need to know how to sell a car by owner. The laws will vary from state to state, but below you will find the basic information needed to sell a car by owner.
To sell a car by owner, you will need:
- For Sale signs
- Ad in an auto trader publication or newspaper
- Flyers for bulletin boards
- Research the value of the car. Make sure you know how much your car is worth. Check out the Kelly Blue Book's official website. This site can tell you how much your car is worth to a dealer as a trade-in or to sell your car as a private party and how much someone should be ready to pay if they had bought this car from a dealer.
- Clean your car. To get the top dollar out of your car for sale by owner, the buyer wants to see a car they want to buy at its fullest potential. Wash the exterior of the car, clean the windows and vacuum the inside. If necessary, clean the interior with a carpet scrubber. For really dirty cars it may be worth your money to take it to a detail shop and have them clean it inside and out.
- Place your ads. Not only is it important to have For Sale signs on the car, but to place an ad as well. Placing ads in the local newspaper, online or in an auto trader publication spreads the word that you have a car for sale. Be specific with the details. The more a buyer knows the more likely he is to come see the car.
- Be patient. Unless you absolutely need to get rid of the car, there is no need to take the first offer. Buyers will want to haggle a price with you, so set your starting price a little higher than you would like to get to have some wiggle room and some bargaining power.
Posted on: Jun. 02, 2010