How To Sell On Craigslist
If you want to make a little extra cash or have something that's too big to ship but others might want, you may want to learn all about how to sell on Craigslist. Craigslist is a very popular online classified ads website that allows you to post and view listings at typically no charge. While it's free to use for tangible items and simple to learn, you can benefit from learning a few of the basics. Here's a list of how to sell items on Craigslist.
Things you'll need:
- Computer with internet connection
- Craiglist account
- Get a Craigslist account. While you don't have to have a Craigslist account to list items, it can be beneficial to do so because the next time you want to list something, all you have to do is sign in and start adding your item. Just go to Craiglist and click on "My Account" on the left. There, you will see a link to open an account if you need one.
- Research prices in your area. Depending on what you have for sale, take note of what similar items are selling for so you do not waste your time by posting a price that is too high. This can also help in case you are posting something that could bring in more money than what you had first thought.
- Take pictures. Including pictures of your item can help tremendously since some users will only persue items that have an accompanying picture. This is especially helpful for items such as vehicles.
- Choose your city. Once you're ready to start posting, choose the city you live in or the closest city to you that is listed on Craigslist. This will be helpful in locals finding your item.
- Start posting. Choose the link on the left that reads "Post to Classifieds" and click it. Once you are there you will be asked to choose what kind of posting it is, so be sure to choose the "For Sale" category. Then choose what type of item it is such as antiques or automobiles.
- Fill out the template. There will now be a template available you can use to enter a title, location, price and description. Once you enter that information you can also add a photo with their simple walkthrough.
- Approve your listing. Once you have your information up you will then be asked to continue. Accept the terms and conditions then type in the words in the anti-spam box and finalize your post. If you have an account, your post is live. If not, you will be e-mailed a link to finalize your post.
You can see how easy it is to sell on Craiglist, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Always be safe. Don't meet up with strangers in places that are remote and never invite someone to your home until you have talked to them extensively. If possible, meet at a safe location. If not, always have others there with you when meeting someone you don't know.
- Avoid scammers. There are plenty of people on Craigslist that will try to scam you. It doesn't matter if you're buying or selling, they'll find you. Beware of fast emails that arrive offering a cashier's check for higher the amount or anything that seems odd. Always accept cash only.
- Add a receipt. Make a receipt to give to the buyer and add that the sale is final. Have them sign it to protect yourself and keep in mind that if you sell a vehicle, you will need a proper bill of sale that can be found online and printed out.