How To Set Up A Radio Station
Ever wonder how to set up a radio station? If you are serious about setting up a radio station, you can do so by following some simple steps. Before setting up your own radio station you need to determine why you want a radio station of your own. There are various reasons why you would want to start a radio station. Maybe you are an aspiring radio personality or disc jockey. Maybe you want to create a radio talk show. Whatever your reasons, make sure you are prepared.
- Find a location. Choose where you want your studio to be located. You must also decide how far you want to broadcast. You may need to set your radio transmitter up at a location different from your studio.
- Obtain proper licensing. You will need an FM license to broadcast. There are two different types of FM licenses: one for local and one for commercial broadcasting. If you want to broadcast over the internet, you will need an internet radio license. The internet route may be the easiest for someone new to radio.
- Purchase your equipment. Your budget will determine the equipment you can afford. You will need to purchase a radio transmitter. If you cannot afford equipment and wish to broadcast on the web, you can use a free service like Windows Media Encoder. Transmission is free with this service. The system runs on both Windows and Mac.
- Set up your equipment. If you are using computer programs, install proper plug-ins. The software will guide you through the process. Follow the prompts.
- You are ready to broadcast. Make sure all your broadcasts comply with the regulations and standards. Know the audience you are targeting. Your material should be suited to the audience you are reaching.