Learning how to setup a router is a fairly simple task. Most routers come with automatic features, which make setting up a router easy. This article covers the task of setting up a standard router using DHCP to a cable modem. This is the most popular connection type, and also the easiest way to setup a router.
- Purchase a router. There are many different types. The most popular are D-Link, Netgear and Linksys. Some routers come with wireless capability while others do not. If you use a laptop to connect to the Internet and would like to use the wireless functions of the laptop, you will need to purchase and setup a router that is wireless.
- Connect to modem. After you have purchased your router, you must connect it to your modem. Look on the back of the router for the WAN port. It should be labeled. The wan port is usually separated from the other ports on the router. Connect the cable from the modem to the WAN port via a network cable.
- Connect the router to the WAN port. Now using a separate network cable, connect one end to a LAN port of the router, and the other end to the network plug-in on the computer. The network plug-in on the computer is located on the back. The cable will click into place when inserted correctly.
- Plug in the router. Plug it into an electrical socket with its supplied power supply, and wait for the blinking lights to come on. The LAN port you connected and the WAN port should be lit.
- Wait for it to automatically connect. The router will automatically connect to the computer and assign an IP address if the computer is set to DHCP. To check this, click on “start” and go to the control panel.
- Check your LAN connection settings. Open “Network Connections” and click on your LAN connection. In the open window, scroll down to TCP/IP and click properties. DHCP should be selected in the window. If it is not you can select it and hit apply. You may need to restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …