How To Sew An Invisible Zipper
Though slightly harder to install than a traditional zipper, learning how to sew an invisible zipper is useful to give a professional touch to your needlework. It requires no finish work, and needs only a specialized zipper foot to install, which can be purchased at any store that sells regular zippers.
To sew an invisible zipper you will need:
- Inbisible Zipper foot
- Invisible Zipper
- Tape Measure
- Sewing Machine
- Seam Ripper
- To start, measure the seam that you would like to sew the zipper into using the tape measure. Invisible zippers don't come in too many sizes, but it's not important to coordinate them with your fabric.
- Now, lay the invisible zipper upside down on the edge of the fabric. Place it between the two edges of the fabric it will be sewn between, and turn it face down on the top of the left piece of fabric, remembering to pin it to the seam allowance.
- Using the sewing machine, sew one side of the zipper to the left side of the fabric. Allow the zipper to remain unzipped, and position it under the zipper foot. You are now ready to begin sewing.
- When sewing, gently press the invisible zipper against the center of the zipper foot. This will allow the needle to sew in the zippers fold.
- To proceed, lay the zipper upside down on the other piece of fabric. Pin the free side to the other fabric, remembering to keep the seam allowance in check. Close the zipper and line up both pieces of fabric at the top.
Now sew the zipper to the second piece of fabric.
- Sew a seam from the bottom of the zipper to the bottom of the fabric. With both pieces facing each other, sew the seam using a regular foot.
- Press the seam open while keeping the zipper zipped. Then simply turn the fabric over and press the seam from the front, going till the front of the zipper.