How To Sew Jeans
Whether your jeans need to be repaired or you want to create more styles for your pair, you should know how to sew jeans. If you know how to sew jeans you can create one according to your own size and sense of style.
You will need:
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
- Fabric (denim)
- Jeans pattern
- Take the appropriate measurements. Using the measuring tape, measure the hips and waist according to the specific areas, take into account whether you want high or low rise jeans. Cut the pattern on its cutting line accordingly, careful to adjust the pattern size on the hips and waist if they are not the same measurement as the jeans pattern.
- Adjust the length of the jeans according to your preference. There are patterns that already come with lines where you can fold to make them shorter or add another paper to make them longer. Take extra care in adjusting the length of the jeans equally and give extra length for the hems. Check to see if you need to adjust the width at the leg opening of the jeans.
- Pin the jean pattern into the denim jeans before cutting. Once they are in place, begin to cut them and start to sew jeans according to the pattern directions. Try out the jeans before doing the hem to be able to make the necessary adjustments where needed.
- Do the hem. The key to a great looking hem is to pin the jeans evenly while accurately measuring them. Make sure that you save at least an inch of extra length especially for the hem during your measurement. Stitch the hem and when you are done iron it flat. Sew the zipper and you are done.
- Check whether the jeans pattern you have is one that will exactly fit your size as they usually come in various sizes.
- Buy denim fabric of your choice.
- When you buy zippers make sure it is one specifically made for jeans.
- The thread you will use to sew jeans should be a thicker one especially used for sewing jeans fabric.
Posted on: Dec. 16, 2010