There are advantages to learning how to sew a pillow yourself. You can choose the size and design of the pillows so they will fit your personal style. After you familiarize yourself with the process, you will be making your own collection of pillows in no time.
What you will need:
- Two equal-sized pieces of fabric
- Sewing machine
- Sewing machine needles
- Sewing needles
- Cotton stuffing
- Set up the sewing machine. Follow the directions provided with the sewing machine. Thread the machine with the thread you chose for the pillows.
- Sew the fabric pieces together. Place the pieces together so that the outside patterns are facing each other. The pillow will be sewn inside out. Set the machine to a basic stitch and a slow speed. Sew a straight line about a quarter inch from the edge of the fabric from one end to the other. Sew two more sides along the entire length of the fabric, and sew the fourth side half way.
- Stuff the pillow. Turn the pillow inside out; the inside pattern of the material should now be on the inside. Break off small pieces of cotton stuffing and place the cotton in the unsewn hole. Pack the cotton in tightly, but don't stuff the pillow completely.
- Thread the sewing needle. Thread the needle by placing the thread threw the needle eye. Knot the two ends together to secure the stitch.
- Sew the remaining hole. Fold the edges of the material inside of the pillow and sew the hole. Try to the maintain the clean, uniform look created by the sewing machine.
- Fluff the pillow. Distribute the cotton in the pillow evenly so there are no lumps. Tip: Fluff the pillow like a regular bedroom pillow.
- Make more pillows. Most pillows are made using this method. Use different fabrics to make a whole set.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.