Learning how to sew polyester chiffon properly is one of those sewing skills that will save you plenty of cursing and tears. Polyester chiffon is very light and delicate fabric, and requires special handling in order to prevent tearing during sewing.
In order to sew polyester chiffon, you will need:
- Polyester chiffon
- Sewing machine
- Size 8 – 10 needle for machine-sewing
- Tissue paper or water soluble stabilizer
- Needle and thread for hand-sewing
- Wash and press the fabric before cutting and sewing in order to ensure that the polyester chiffon stays smooth and does not pull or bunch when washed.
- Use a stabilizer to keep your sewing machine's needle from tearing holes in the material as you sew. You can either buy a commercially made water soluble stabilizer that is dissolved using an iron on the steam setting, or simply sandwich the polyester chiffon fabric between layers or tissue paper, which you tear off after sewing.
- Adjust your sewing machine to a 2.5 mm stitch length and a light tension. You can see if the setting is correct by testing on a piece of scrap fabric. Test and adjust the stitch length and tension until you can get neat, even stitches in the chiffon.
- If you find that you are having problems with the edges of the polyester chiffon fabric fraying, binding the edges using French seams can help prevent that.
Tips: Do not anchor stitches using a backstitch. Instead, knot all seams to anchor. Make the length of your stitches shorter when you are sewing a curved seam.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Speakeasy: Jonathan Banks
The Emmy-nominated Breaking Bad star talks Beverly Hills Cop, Wiseguy, sitcom work and his new flick with Danny Trejo, Bullet. Oh yeah, a few Mike Ehrma …