Many people enjoy the game of baseball but not many people know how to sew a stuffed ball like a baseball. There are many reasons for creating a ball like a baseball such as a toy for a child or a pet. With some basic sewing skills and a sewing machine, a baseball can be an easy project.
To create a baseball, you will need:
- Sewing machine
- Magic marker
- Toy stuffing
- Create a pattern. A baseball is made from two pieces of material pinned together. Trace a round object such as a glass or a soup can to make to circles on the material. Leave a space of half the width of a circle between the two circles. With the magic marker, draw a line from the top of one circle to the top of the other circle. Do the same on the bottom most point of the circle. A quarter width up from the bottom line and down from the top line, draw two more lines connecting the circles a second time. Using the inside lines as reference points, round the corners.
- Allow for a ¼ inch inseam. Cut out the baseball pattern leaving a ¼ inch seam all the way around. When cutting, follow the rounded edges paying no attention to the first lines drawn. Your pattern will look like a figure-of-eight.
- Sew the pieces together. Take the cut out material and sew along the lines you drew. Leave a one inch opening to allow for stuffing.
- Turn inside out. Turn the baseball inside out and fill the baseball with the stuffing through the inch opening. Fill the ball to your desired firmness.
- Hand stitch the opening shut. Once the baseball is filled appropriately, hand stitch the opening shut. Once the opening is shut, the baseball is finished. Any finishing touches that are wanted can be done now.
To make the ball look like a true baseball, hand sew the stitches of a baseball on the outside. This baseball can be made from any material. A softer material works well for a child's or pet's toy or if the ball is to be used for playing baseball, seek out a good leather to make your ball out of. The pattern may take a bit of trial and error to get just right but once a good ball is made, it can be enjoyed for many, many years to come.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.