How To Ship Furniture
You are moving soon and need to know how to ship furniture. Shipping furniture can get very costly, but in most situations it is worth the cost, especially if the furniture is very valuable to you. It is not always easy to be able to move furniture, and sometimes is worthwhile just having the furniture shipped to its new location. Here are some ways to help you to know how to ship furniture.
- Try to get a recommendation. If you know someone who has had furniture shipped before ask them what service they used. It is better to use a referral than just blindly choosing any company to work with.
- Look in the yellow pages. If you can't get a recommendation look in the yellow pages or online under Shipping Services to get a head start. Have as much information handy as you can about the furniture when calling, such as weight and dimensions, and make sure you get all of your questions answered.
- Let the shipper handle the packing. Since the shippers are professional they should know the best and safest way to pack your furniture for adequate shipping. Also, the shipper should assume liability for the shipment.
- If you must pack the furniture yourself double up. Double box small pieces and allow a couple of inches of cushion between the inside of the box and the outer box.
- Read the fine print before you sign anything. Make sure that you read the fine print on the shipper's insurance first and make sure that it covers the value of the furniture. Some shipper's insurance have limited damage payout, and might not fully cover your item, and you may need to add an additional insurance before they ship your furniture.
- Take pictures. You want to have evidence of the conditions of your furniture before you have it shipped. Make sure to take a lot of pictures of all sides of the furniture with a date-stamped camera.