How To Ship Luggage
If you like the idea of having comforts of home without having to tote around heavy baggage on your travels, you will want to learn how to ship luggage. It's not well-advertised, but shipping your luggage has many advantages. With many airlines now charging unfair and extreme fees for checking and even carrying on your luggage, deciding to ship luggage may even be a more economical option. Here's how to ship luggage when you're traveling for business or pleasure.
- Make sure that you have packed well. Heavy things should be placed upon the bottom of the suitcase. It should be packed snugly, so that things stay in place. Avoid over-packing. Avoid packing valuables or things that are too heavy, when you plan to ship luggage. You should also pack duplicates of necessities in your suitcase, not your original essentials, as you'll need to send your luggage ahead of the date that you depart for your trip.
- Ship luggage ahead of time. Consult whichever shipping company you want to use for an exact date that you should ship, in order to coordinate the timing with your arrival to your destination city. In general, to ship luggage takes an average of two to four days. The individual shipping companies can give you a more precise estimate for your definite destination.
- Place your address clearly on all luggage tags. You also want to put your phone number and email address on each luggage tag. Also place it on a large sheet of paper, placed just inside each piece of luggage. That's just to safeguard your luggage, just in case. However, in general, luggage shipping companies have great track records when it comes to tracking luggage and delivering it safely to your destination.
- Coordinate a pick-up time between a time frame of a few hours when you plan to be home anyway. Coordinating a convenient pick-up time is usually an easy process. You can simply relax and enjoy things around the house, without having to worry about even taking the luggage out of the door yourself.
- Relax as your time of departure comes near. If you end up having last minute travel plans, you can simply contact your shipping agency, and luggage can easily be rerouted to your new destination. It only takes a phone call or an email. It's a less stressful way of handling your luggage.
- Coordinate the shipment of luggage with your destination hotel, if the shipping company doesn't offer that service. Most luggage shipping services do that for you. However, it wouldn't hurt to let your hotel know, when making your reservation, that your luggage is being shipped. You can update them with details, or you can confirm with your shipping company that it did this important step.