How to Shoot a Jump Shot in Basketball
In order to have correct form, practice and learn how to shoot a jump shot in basketball. The jump shot is the fundamental form for scoring on offense. By understanding and practicing correct form, you can be able to become a good shooter. With time correct form on your jump shot can be natural.
- The jump shot begins in the legs. You must be able to generate power from your legs in the jump shot. Slightly crouched, jump explosively into the air to begin the jump shot.
- Bring your hands up into correct positioning. Your hands will bring the ball upwards just over your eyes, so that you can see in front of you. The shooting hand is behind the ball, while the other hand is vertical and holds the ball in place while the shooting hand performs the shot.
- Bring your shooting hand and arm forward to begin the release. This snapping motion should occur at no angle, in order to shoot the ball directly in front of you. Snap your elbow forward to begin releasing the ball.
- Snap your wrist forward. Then you will snap your wrist (on the shooting hand) as the ball exits your hands. This allows you to follow through for power and to put backspin on the ball.
- Practice your shooting form. Make sure that you spend time practicing the correct shooting form. Ask someone who knows the correct form to suggest weaknesses, as it will be easy to notice. Also make sure that you have a high arc on your shot, which gives the ball a better angle to enter the basket.