How To Shoot In Lacrosse
Learning how to shoot in lacrosse is essential if you hope to experience any type of success. Lacrosse is an exciting fast paced sport, full of nonstop action; however, if you cannot shoot, you cannot score. The good news is that even though there are a few specific techniques used when shooting in lacrosse, these techniques can be learned quite easily. Of course, while these techniques can be learned, they require a lot of practice to master.
You will need:
- lacrosse stick
- Grasp the stick. No matter how you ultimately shoot a lacrosse ball, you will want to hold the stick in a specific fashion. Place your off hand at the bottom of the stick, the edge of your hand will butt up against the edge of the stick. Your dominant hand will be placed be placed in the middle of the stick. This allows you to create leverage as you swing.
- Get in position. When you get ready to shoot in lacrosse, your shoulders should align perpendicularly with the goal. Set your feet parallel to each other, lining the foot that corresponds with your off hand so that it is closest to the goal.
- Aiming. When aiming your shot in lacrosse, you want to aim for either one of the four corners; or you can bounce your lacrosse shot so that it first hits in front of the goalie before it makes its way to the goal. Bounce shots are some of the hardest shots for goalies to block.
- It’s a twisting motion. With your arms extended from your body, bring your arms and hands back behind one side of your body. In essence you are winding up, like a spring getting ready to release its power.
- Transfer your weight forward. When you shoot in lacrosse, the key is to get power. The power comes from the transferring of your weight. Before you shoot in lacrosse, all the weight of your body should be centered on your dominant side. You will then simply transfer this weight forward, twisting the stick towards the goal. Simultaneously, you will use your bottom hand to pull back on the stick for extra leverage and power.
- Look though the goalie. The biggest key when you shoot in lacrosse is to look through the goalie. If you look at the goalie, then you will aim at the goalie, increasing his chances of blocking the ball. So instead, look through him at either one of the four corners, or for a bounce shot opportunity.