There may be no game more exciting than a good hockey game, so if you know how to skate and want to join in on the fun, all you need to do is learn how to shoot a puck. The point of hockey is to shoot the puck into the net more times than the opposition. While this may seem simple, the goal isn't much bigger than the goalies who are there to protect it, so if you can't shoot the puck with speed and accuracy, there is no way it is going in. While there are a number of ways to shoot a puck, the most common by far are the wrist shot and the slap shot.
- Start your wrist shot by positioning yourself perpendicular to the target. Your legs should be slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Cup the puck in the curve of your stick and bring it behind your rear foot. Your rear hand should be slightly lower on the stick than your lead hand. Your rear hand will also be your dominant hand. Shift your weight onto your back foot.
- Transfer your weight to your front foot while you swing the stick forward. Keep downward pressure on the stick so that it bends against the ice while you are shooting. When the stick snaps forward, this bend will create extra speed in your shot.
- Follow through with your shot. Bringing the stick up on the follow through will cause the puck to rise off the ice.
The technique for performing a slap shot is somewhat different.
- To do a slap shot, position your body in the same manner as you would for a wrist shot. Bring your rear hand down the shaft of the stick a few inches, to generate more power.
- Position the puck so that it is a few inches behind your front foot, and a few inches away from you. Take some practice swings to determine how far away the puck should be for your natural shooting motion.
- Bring the stick behind you. Keep your rear arm straight while you wind up. Shift your weight to your back foot.
- Shift your weight forward while you bring the stick down to strike the puck. You want to make contact with the ice one or two inches behind the puck to give it some lift. Follow through the puck and snap your wrists as you bring your stick forward.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.