How to Shop for an Engagement Ring That She Won't Hate
Knowing how to shop for an engagement ring that she won't hate can and will save your relationship. Trying to shop for an engagement ring is tough. It's a big enough decision to get married, but trying to pick out a ring she won’t hate is even harder.
- Pay Attention to Hints Any man that is ready to propose has already discussed the prospect of marriage with his girlfriend. It’s not like she'll be caught completely off-guard by the proposal, and if she is your relationship is lacking the necessary communication to survive. But the engagement ring can still be a surprise. Once the marriage topic has come up a few times she will be sure to drop hints about the type of ring she likes. She will comment about the engagement rings her friends have, point out rings in stores or magazines, or even complain about jewelry styles she doesn’t like. Pay attention. All the information you need she will reveal quickly. Especially pay attention to the size and cut of the diamond she wants, and if she wants a one stone, three stone, or multi stone engagement ring. Then remember this when you shop for an engagement ring.
- Notice Her Style Does your girlfriend wear jewelry? Does she like simple pieces or big, flashy items? Does she tend to wear silver and white gold or does she choose jewelry that is yellow gold? She will be wearing that engagement ring all of the time. You want her to love it. If it’s not her style, she will hate it. Also, look at her lifestyle and goals. Is she a nurse or plans to be a mother? Make sure her engagement ring won’t scratch anyone. Is she fashionable and dreams of a large rock that goes with everything? Make sure she won’t be disappointed.
- Be Practical While Shopping You love her, you want to give her everything she wants, but it doesn’t make sense to shop for an engagement ring you can’t afford. Obviously, don’t be a cheapskate and pick out the first ring you see at the local super store. Instead, go to a jewelry store (even if it is just at your mall) and look at the engagement ring options. The price range varies and you should be able to find something nice without going overboard. Also, remember that an engagement ring is about your commitment to love her. If she really loves you she won’t need a car on her finger.
- Buy the Ring Now remember all of the above and choose an engagement ring that matches the hints she gave you, fits her style, and fits your budget. If you're not confident in your own ring-picking skills, take one of her friends ring shopping with you. Keeping all of that in mind you are sure to shop for an engagement that she won't hate and then buy an engagement ring she will love!
- If All Else Fails... You can take your girlfriend with you to shop for an engagement ring. Sure it won't be a surprise but you are certain to get an engagement ring she won't hate. More couples do this than you think. It makes it easy on the man, the woman gets the ring she wants, and the proposal itself can still be a surprise especially if you claim you're just "looking" at rings for future reference.