If you want to be eco-friendly and environmentally smart, it’s a good idea to know how to shop green. Shopping green isn’t just about using green products; it also has to do with how you shop. Learning to shop green is helpful to the environment and can be very easy with the right attitude.
- Shop sensibly. Part of shopping green is shopping sensibly to avoid wasting and only purchasing what you will use. Many people end up over-spending and buying unnecessary items that are just thrown away and wasted. If you want to shop green, make sure to always create a list and buy only what you need.
- Go natural. To shop green you need to start going natural. Shop for clothing made with organic cotton, hemp or bamboo. Try to buy only vegan-friendly foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts and legumes. Buying meat and dairy is not green because of the energy it takes to produce those items.
- Choose environmentally safe products. The most obvious is when you are buying cleaning products. If you want to shop green, choose cleaning solutions that are made with plant enzymes and are non-toxic to the environment. They work just as well as and sometimes even better than other cleaning products that are not environmentally safe. Say no to plastic and Styrofoam products, which take forever to fully biodegrade.
- Buy reusable items. A key to shopping green is buying items that can be reused. Get some reusable shopping bags to take with you every time you go to the grocery store. Instead of using a disposable coffee cup every morning, switch to a reusable one you can clean and use daily. Buy cloth napkins to switch from paper napkins so you can toss them in the laundry to reuse rather than buying new packages every week.
- Shop for things made from recycled materials. There are lots of products out there that are made from recycled materials to help you shop green. You can buy recycled aluminum foil, paper and even bags and clothing. By purchasing items from recycled materials, you are helping the environment and continuing the recycling process.
- Go for sustainable and renewable. Nothing is more eco-friendly and green than going for sustainable and renewable products. Instead of choosing nylon or acrylic material, go for cotton or silk. Instead of choosing wood floors, go for bamboo.