It is very easy to learn how to shorten suit sleeves. In order to be able to get the most use out of a suit that may have been given to you, alterations must be done. Not only can you shorten the pant's hem, but the suit sleeves can be adjusted as well. Shortening suit sleeves is simple if you have either a sewing machine or a needle and thread. A few other tools may be needed to shorten the sleeves, but it is still a very easy task.
To shorten suit sleeves, you will need:
- Your suit
- Measuring tape
- A sewing machine
- A seam ripper
- The first step is to take your measurements. The difference in the length of the sleeve at present and the desired length must be taken into account. When measuring, you must remember that the hem will take up some of the length itself. Allow extra length for the hem.
- Take out the existing hem. One important tool which will be needed to perform this task is a seam ripper. The seam ripper will easily take out the present hem, allowing you to measure how much material will need to be removed. If you need to do so, press out the suit sleeves for easier measurement.
- Remove unwanted material. With scissors, remove enough material to shorten the suit sleeves. Do not forget to allow a couple of inches for the hem. If the hem was two inches, cut the material two inches too long to allow for the adjustment.
- Sew in the new hem. After cutting the sleeves to the desired length, fold the material under and iron it to help keep the hem in place. You can also pin the hem down before sewing it in place. Sew the new hems and try the suit jacket on to ensure the length is correct. Make corrections as needed.
- Take your time when doing this. Many alterations have resulted in suit sleeves that have been too short. If done correctly, you will be able to wear this suit for many years.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.