How To Shrink A Fitted Hat
In a perfect world, you would never have to learn how to shrink a fitted hat. The perfect, stylish hat would be waiting for you ready-made in the store. But, in the real world, even fitted hats come in incremental sizes, and if your head just happens to fall between sizes, you’ll have to learn how to shrink your fitted hat to make it just perfect. Luckily, customizing a fitted hat to your head’s size and special curves is easier than you think. All you need is access to a clothes dryer and a few minutes to spare. So, here’s how to shrink a fitted hat to make it perfect for you.
Here’s what you’ll need to shrink a fitted hat:
- Spray bottle full of water, or
- Two wet towels
- Clothes dryer
- Fabric softener sheet (optional)
Follow these steps to shrink a fitted hat to perfection:
- Determine how much you want to shrink the fitted hat. Put your hat on and look at yourself in the mirror. Memorize how the hat feels and where you would like to shrink it.
- Moisten the fitted hat. To shrink a fitted hat, you need to wet the hat without actually soaking it. You can place the hat between wet towels and leave it for a few minutes until it becomes moist both inside and out. If you don’t want to weigh the fitted hat down with heavy towel, spray it with a spray bottle full of water instead. You can also pass the fitted hat quickly under a stream of running water, but be careful not to soak one area and leave another too dry. To shrink a fitted a hat evenly, the whole hat must be moist but not dripping wet, and the wetness needs to be even throughout so as to affect the hat similarly through the shrinking process.
- Begin shrinking the fitted hat. Place the fitted hat in a clothes dryer. You can add a sheet of fabric softener to shrink the fitted hat and give it a fresh scent simultaneously. Turn the dryer on normal heat. After two minutes, take the fitted hat out and try it on. Pay close attention to how the fitted hat feels. If you needed minimal shrinking, the fitted hat might already have shrunk enough.
- Customize the shrinking of the fitted hat. To continue shrinking the fitted hat, place it in the clothes dryer again for one more minute, then try the hat on as before. Continue this rotation at one minute intervals to test whether the fitted hat shrunk enough. Because the fitted hat is moist through this process, it will slowly mold to the curves of your head as you shrink it then try it on in rotation.
- Finish shrinking the fitted hat. Once the fitted hat feels snug and perfect for your head, take it out of the clothes dryer and place it somewhere dark and dry, such as in your closet. You want the hat to dry naturally and slowly, without heat even from sunlight, so as to prevent further, unwanted shrinking.