It's pretty easy to shrink a hat. Keeping a hat from shrinking is the hard part. Most hats are made from a cotton blend of fabrics. Cotton is the easiest fabric to shrink.
What you need to shrink a hat:
- Hot water
- Sink or bucket
- Spray bottle
- The first thing you need to shrink a hat is heat. Hot water is the best form of heat to use to shrink a hat. Fill up a sink or a bucket with hot water. Hot water will make the weave of the cotton fabric constrict and shrink. Submerge your hat in the water and let it soak for about a half an hour. Your hat will shrink!
- Use a spray bottle to get your hat wet. If you are looking to shrink your hat just a little bit for a slightly tighter fit, then you need a spray bottle to get the hat wet. You can use any temperature water to slightly shrink your hat. Set your hat on a flat surface and spray it all over to shrink it up.
- The dishwasher will give you maximum hat shrinkage. The dishwasher gives off the most hot water of any appliance in your house. Typically it is used to disinfect dishes, but the dishwasher can have a few other purposes as well. Place your hat on the top rack and turn it on without soap. When the wash cycle is done your hat will be shrunk and dried. This method of shrinking a hat is a one step process.
- Dry your hat in the dryer. The final step to shrink a hat is drying it. One method of drying the hat is in the dryer. Set the dryer to high heat and put you hat in it. After about a half an hour your hat will be shrunk and dry.
- Put your hat in the sun to dry it. Hang your hat outside to finish shrinking it. Again, heat is the key to shrink a hat. Let the heat from the sun do its job until the hat is dry.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.