How To Shrink A Pair Of Jeans
Do you have a pair of jeans that are a little too big and now you are wondering how to shrink a pair of jeans? Well you came to the right place. You can shrink your pair of jeans right at home in just a few easy steps.
What you will need to shrink a pair of jeans:
- Hot water
- Washing machine
- Very large pot
- Iron with steam
- The first step to shrinking a pair of jeans is hot water. This first method is for slight shrinking. Set your washing machine to the hottest temperature. Soak your jeans in the washing machine for a couple of hours in hot water. Make sure to close the lid on the washing machine so the heat cannot escape. Hot water will definitely shrink any material, especially a cotton blended fabric like denim. You can also boil your jeans.
- Boil your jeans. Yes, this sounds strange. This method works best if you are trying to shrink your jeans a lot. Boiling your jeans will give you the hottest water possible and therefore create significant shrinkage. If you have a pot large enough to fit a pair of jeans then you can try this method. Boiling time is about thirty minutes. Be careful when dumping out the boiling water so you don't burn yourself. Let the denim cool off in the sink before you touch them with your hands.
- After soaking your jeans in hot water (either step 1 or step 2), your jeans may have shrunk enough. If you have reached the desired amount of shrinkage in your jeans, then you just wash as usual in hot water and dry them. The dryer will make your jeans shrink a little more when set on high heat.
- The alternative to drying them in the dryer is using an iron. Like mentioned before, the more heat you apply to the denim, the more your jeans will shrink. Heat tightens the weave of fabric, thus making it shrink. Instead of putting the pair of jeans into the dryer, iron them while they are wet until the denim is dry. This method of drying a pair of jeans will give you the maximum amount of shrinkage possible. Please be cautious when ironing any garment or you will get burned.
- Take your pair of jeans to the cleaners and have a professional do it. Understandably, you may be leery of trying to shrink your jeans yourself. If you are needing to shrink them quite a bit, you may get burned. If this is case visit a professional as a professional is skilled in all fabrics. Your jeans will not get ruined and you will not risk the chance of burning yourself.