How To Shrink Polyester Slacks
Want to learn how to shrink polyester slacks without ruining their tailored fit? By exposing your pants to extreme heat in specific areas only, you can shrink your polyester slacks without shortening their leg length or destroying their elegant cut. Selective shrinking will not fade your polyester pants or risk shrinking areas that already fit you well. It’s the best way to tailor business wear to your unique shape without the expense of paying for an alteration. Here’s everything you need to know to shrink polyester slacks selectively.
What you’ll need to shrink polyester slacks:
- 2 face towels
- Ironing board
- Rubber-soled shoes
- Rubber gloves
- Access to clothes dryer
- Prepare your shrinking station. Set up your ironing board and heat up your iron to its maximum heat. Fill your iron with water to produce steam if such an option is available and be sure to wear rubber-soled shoes to prevent electrocution in case your iron is faulty. Finally, moisten one face towel by drizzling water over its center, then wring the water through the towel.
- Shrink polyester slacks selectively. Spread a dry face towel over your ironing board then place your slacks over it. Cover the slacks with the moist face towel, then place the hot iron over the towel making sure you are heating only the area of your lacks that needs shrinking. It’s a good idea to wear protective rubber gloves because steam will rise from the heated towel and may easily scold you. Wait two minutes, then remove both towels and iron the pants to dry them. You can shrink polyester slacks selectively around thighs, the crotch, the buttocks or knees, all of which are areas that may stretch over time, diminishing the tailored fit of your slacks.
- Lock in the new measurements. To finish shrinking polyester slacks selectively, place them in your clothes dryer on maximum heat for fifteen minutes. This will remove all residue moisture from the shrunk areas and promote even shrinking throughout your slacks, granting them a uniform look.
- Try your shrunk polyester slacks on. While the slacks are still hot, try them on in front of a mirror and see if you are happy with the results. If some areas are overly tight, wear the slacks for a while to stretch these areas out while they are still warm. If you would like to shrink your polyester slacks even more, repeat the steps of the article once more.
- To shrink the waist on polyester pants you will need to repeat the process of selective shrinking several times, depending on the thickness of the fabric at the waist line.