Wondering how to shrink polyester swimsuits? Are your trunks or bikini sagging in all the wrong places? Despite what you may have heard, polyester swimsuits are easy to shrink if you expose the fabric to extreme heat. Unlike cotton, polyester will not lose its color, and the small size of swimsuits makes the process very easy. If you want to look your best at the beach or pool, learn how to shrink polyester swimsuits back to their former glory. You’ll be glad you did.
What you’ll need to shrink polyester swimsuits:
- Rubber gloves
- Large pot
- Wood cooking spoon
- Access to a clothes dryer and stove
- Dry kitchen towel
- Boil water. Fill a large pot with enough water to submerged your polyester swimsuit (but do not submerge it yet). If you want to shrink several polyester swimsuits simultaneously, simply add enough water to accommodate them all. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Cook your polyester swimsuits. Put the rubber gloves on to protect your hands from splashing hot water and raise the lid. Press the swimsuits you wish to shrink into the boiling water using the wood cooking spoon. Turn down the stove heat a little to stop the water bubbling and splashing you. However, to shrink polyester swimsuits, you want to keep the water temperature as close to boiling as possible. Wear a long sleeved shirt in addition to protective gloves and watch out for the steam rising from the pot.
- Prepare your polyester swimsuits for drying. Shrink your polyester swimsuits in boiling water for five minutes, then fish them out with the wooden spoon. Wring the water out gingerly while still wearing your gloves, then immediately proceed to the next step.
- Finish shrinking your polyester swimsuits in a clothes dryer. Put the wet polyester swimsuits in a clothes dryer and choose the highest heat setting. Keep the dryer working ten minutes after the swimsuit is dry. Hot air will shrink your polyester swimsuit even more.
- Shrink polyester swimsuits in an oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit before taking your shrunk polyester swimsuits out of the boiling water. Place a dry kitchen towel in an oven safe lidded dish or pot then put the wet swimsuits on the towel. Close the lid and place the dish on the center rack of the oven to bake. After ten minutes remove the lid to allow the steam to escape and turn the swimsuits over. If they are still moist, bake the swimsuits for 10 more minutes with the lid closed as before.
Tip: If your polyester swimsuit requires only a little shrinking, cook it for five minutes in boiling water and let it air dry. Try it on and decide if to shrink it further by repeating all the steps in this article.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …