Many people would like to learn how to sing the blues. While singing blues used to be difficult to do in the past, it no longer has to be this way. There are some simple steps you can take in order to teach yourself to sing the blues.
Things you'll need:
- Knowledge of major blues singing scales
- Blues band/music playing in the background
- When you sing the blues, you should sing as though what's being described in the song really happened to you. Let go of all your inhibitions when singing the blues. You cannot fake it whenever you sing the blues songs.
- Get rid of any inhibitions you may have while singing the blues. You are going to be singing about shooting your lover, sneaking off with your lover even though you’re already married and drinking cheap wine because you’re broke. It is important to sound as though you mean these things.
- Don’t smile whenever you are singing the blues. These are songs about death, pain, loss and cheating on lovers. It is important to sound as though you are really hurting, but you cannot whine because blues songs are not meant to be songs of self-pity.
- Become familiar with the major scales that are used in singing the blues. The blues note is the only thing that differentiates this music from the rest. You will need to learn how to hit this note so familiarize yourself with the blues scale.
- Work on your lower register. This will help you with singing the blues because most songs are sung in a low to medium pitch.
- Learn to sing with a musical instrument in the background. Usually the piano, slide guitar, harmonica or the guitar will be used to help the blues song be slower and more sensuous.
Once you have taken these steps, you will have taught yourself to sing the blues. Now you can begin singing the blues whenever you want. It is just a matter of finding a song you would like to sing.